Travel & Events: Overview

Yesterday, hosted an audioconference with Ki P. Hong of Skadden Arps, a top political law practitioner.

While of course we want you to attend our seminars to get the full inside scoop, here’s a look at a couple of the topics he covered.

  • Overview of the LDA / HLOGA filing requirements: In order to register as a lobbying entity (with in-house lobbyists): A company must have at least one employee who spends 20% or more of his or her working time engaging in lobbying activity; That same employee must have made 2 or more lobbying contacts; and the company must spend more than $11,500 on such lobbying activity over a 3-month period.  If registering a lobbying firm, the same personal thresholds, AND the firm’s  lobbying income for a particular client must exceed $3,000 over a 3-month period.
  • LD-203 filing: As a best practice, make sure your company, association, or lobbying firm has a robust and enforceable gift policy across all levels, not just for your government relations staff.
  • Sponsoring travel: organizations employing or retaining a lobbyist to lobby on their own behalf may sponsor one-day travel for members of Congress or Congressional staffers, but MUST submit their proposed sponsorship to the appropriate (House or Senate) Ethics Committee for pre-approval.

More detailed info on sponsoring travel & events is in our handy-dandy Compliance Center.

Tags: , , ,

Comments are closed.