RESTORE OUR FUTURE, the largest Super PAC to date, is the fundraising behemoth that was behind the Romney campaign. Its millions buttressed the ad blitz that arrested Speaker Gingrich’s primary momentum. Its donors have included millionaires, billionaires, federal contractors, and a phantom company that PAC, American Crossroads). A no less cogent designation has been applied to RoF’s very own Larry McCarthy, “attack ads’ go-to guy.” McCarthy is none other than the man who created the paragon of attack ads, the 30-second Willie Horton broadcast that knocked the wind out of Michael Dukakis. Though the Horton bit remains matchless, McCarthy’s Iowa ads stirred just as much frustration in their target (Gingrich), and in the fact-checkers who bestowed them with four Pinocchios.
The Sunlight Foundation has a webpage called “Follow the Unlimited Money,” which reveals how RoF’s cash is spent. So far 90% of its expenditures have been piled on attack ads, $89 million of which opposed Democrats and $40 million of which opposed Republicans. The remaining 10% went to positive ads for Republicans. A Democrat has yet to receive a dime.
Tags: Ben Smith, Carl Forti, Charles Spies, Citizens United, Gingrich, Karl Rove, Kenneth Vogel, Larry Mccarthy, Michael Dukakis, Mother Jones, Restore Our Future, Romney, Super PAC, the sunlight foundation, Willie Horton